No Candy from Sex Offenders

on 10/17/08

It is very possible that this post will cause some differing opinions, but here goes:


In the state of Maryland, if you are on parole or probation for a sex-crime, you now have to post this poster on your door for Halloween:

The reason, according to the Division of Parole and Probation, is "because Halloween is a holiday in which large numbers of children interact with strangers, the concern among parents and other community members about sexual offenders in their neighborhoods is naturally intensified during this time of year."

Fair enough. I understand that parents are concerned about their children interacting with strangers. That is justified. My problem is this:

The Division of Parole and Probation goes on to say, "Our goal is public safety, and in keeping with that we need to make sure that the individuals under our supervision are provided with the enhanced supervision that we're committed to."

If these sex offenders are deemed to still be a risk to children, then why aren't they still in prison? Why are they on parole/probation if they are possibly going to harm another child?

I know that you can never know 100% whether a person will commit a crime again when they are released from prison. But why don't we make car thieves put a sign in front of their home that says, "Don't Park Here, I Might Steal Your Chevy!"; or make people convicted of driving drunk wear a shirt whenever they go somewhere with alcohol that reads, "I Might Drink Too Much And Then Drive Home The Wrong Way On The Highway!"; or should we make a shoplifter walk into a store and tell the stock boy, "Keep An Eye On Me, I Might Steal Some DoubleMint!"? Does anyone else see the double-standard?

What's the difference?

To be totally clear, I don't think kids should trick-or-treat at someone's house if that house is occupied by a child predator. The difference I have with this legislation, is that the child predator shouldn't be out in public to begin with!

The story on foxnews.com is here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,438725,00.html

4 comments:

LukeMiller said...

I see at least a couple of factors coming into play here. 1.) Our criminal justice system is terribly broken. 2.) We don't know our neighbors anymore.

Our criminal justice system should have better awareness of the potential behavior of convicted criminals of any kind before they are released back onto the streets. I have a whole rant on our justice system, but don't have space for it here.

But my second point is that parents should have a better idea of who their neighbors are. When I was a kid, my parents knew everyone on my block and in my neighborhood, so it was no problem for them to unleash me to solicit sales for fundraisers or go trick-or-treating on Halloween.

So, yeah, the sign is dumb... and a double-standard, and there are at least two major reasons why this has become an out-of-control pandemic in our nation. The sad thing is that a lot of "sexual predators" are not the creepy adults wanting to molest little children... sometimes they're the nineteen year old high school senior who had sex with his 17 year old sophomore girlfriend, or the guy who was peeing outside a bar cos he was drunk and a kid saw and his dad called the police. These people should not be forced to wear a scarlet "A" the rest of their life.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.....This one is very close to home, too. As I have lived all my life with girls who were sexually abused. (my parents kept foster kids) And my mom was also a victim. hmmmmm.....her grandfather, a very well respected elder in his church, well-known in town and loved by all who did that to her. And you know what? Most of the girls in our home were victimized by people like the next door neighbor or a friend of the family. I am very biased when it comes to this. Once a child molester...it is VERY hard to reform them. Drinking, theft, etc....have much much higher successful recovery rates. Sexual abusers are at the bottom. I don't know the stats off the top of my head, but they are the worst at changing their ways. They are the sneakiest, best hiders of all. I am not sure if I like the whole sign thing, but comparing them with other crimes is just not at all in the same realm. A child, in all their innocence....well, I will not go on, but you get the picture. Sexual sin damages the core of the other person. Their time in prison is nothing compare to what the victim has to endure the rest of their life. IMO, if someone is found guilty and I mean, PROVED very guilty, they should have life in prison. Maybe God will redeem them and they can be like Paul in the prison systems. :)

Brad Williams said...

AY> I totally feel for your situation and the unfair burden this has put on your family.
You bring up the reason why I think we continue to punish sex offenders after they have served their prison sentence, it is such an emotional crime. I think we agree, that if the person is a continuing threat to harm others (in any type of crime) than they shouldn't be out in public. If a person can't control themselves, we have to control them by elimating the temptation.

Anonymous said...

Yep!! Very well said!